At Hip2Toe Plus we can manage your calf muscle cramping, which takes place through a group of muscles down the back of the leg behind the knee. It can also be accompanied by cramping in the hamstrings, and many other muscle groups. Calf cramping is often associated with walking problems, which may be for reasons including:
- Insufficient range of ankle motion.
- Flattened arches while you are walking.
- Being in jobs where you sit all day in one position.
- A lower level of fitness, due to not being able to get sufficient exercise.
- Vascular and neurological problems in the lower limb.
- Incorrect choice of footwear.
- Stress in your life adding to cramping episodes, especially at the end of the day.
- Internal metflammation, where long periods of inactivity cause internal inflammation.
And these are only some of the reasons. But most importantly a foot Doctor is an important part of your medical management, as cramping can lead to further issues with walking if not properly managed. Treatments can include one or a selection of the following treatment options:
- Advanced musculoskeletal correction and manipulation programmes, where gentle techniques are used to help reduce the cramping.
- Low level laser therapy, which can aid in reducing the underlying pathologies associated with the cramping.
- Prescription foot orthotics, a device you wear in your shoe that is prescribed by us, and may allow you to claim through your private health fund.
- A prescription of specially selected exercises to carry out daily, to help treat the cramping and help prevent it from returning in the future.
- Immersion therapy in selected water temperatures to help improve lower limb cardiovascular function.
- Sometimes prescribing of certain medicines may be required; as Dr. Jeremy Hawke (Podiatrist) is an Endorsed prescriber of scheduled medicines, he is able to write prescriptions if necessary.
- Medical acupuncture (Dry needling) where acupuncture needles are gently placed in affected muscles that have had spasm in them. (This is normally a very gently procedure, some patients hardly noticing the needles being used).
- Strengthening exercises for muscle groups associated with the cramping.
- Alternative footwear is often prescribed. We have a large range of shoes, sandals and thongs to allow you a selection to choose from.
Dr Jeremy Hawke (Podiatrist) is trained in musculoskeletal medicine throughout the body, and is also able to carry out corrections and treatments for the knees, hips, back, shoulders, neck, arms and hands. These issues are often associated with dysfunction and cramping in the calves and lower limb. So please contact us and ask for an assessment for your cramping issues, and you can request a 40 or 50-minute appointment for the assessment to be carried out. Often treatment may be carried out during this initial visit. Call us on (07) 40543330, and for our international patients remember +61. Saturday appointments are available, although payment for initial visits on Saturday are required in advance. Bookings can also be made on our website, and we will contact you by phone /email to confirm your appointment.
Wish you have a nice day from Hip2Toe Plus staff